Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanks

Once upon a time I went through some hard times. And even at my most difficult times, I've had friends that have helped me through them. Today I've been thinking about all of the things I'm grateful for this year and I would have to say I'm thankful for my friends. Three friends in particular, though I love all of my you guys and I'm thankful for you all, three friends have been through a lot with me. They've listened to me go on for hours and hours and for that I'm very grateful.
First, Houston. Yes, if you're reading this I'm sure you're surprised. The truth is, I recognize that you have been a great friend for many years and I know sometimes I can be mean. What can I say? We do have that love hate relationship. But some of the moments I remember most: the broom war, the night I told Sean R. that I liked him, the hours you and Sean P. would spend on skype talking to me when I was in Spain, listening to the CD's you to Spain, and when you came over after my grandpa died. You really are a great friend and even though I haven't seen you in a while, just know that I'm going to repay the favor and you will be getting letters from me when you leave on your mission. Just maybe not quite as often because they do have a long way to travel.
Second, Alyssa. You'll probably read this too, so I'll talk directly to you. Yes it's cheesy to be writing this instead of just telling you, but it's on my mind right now and I'm not going to call you at 12:30. So here it goes, I can't tell you how much you've helped me. I remember first becoming friends with you in 9th grade. We used to do Sudoku together and I remember thinking, this girl can make me laugh so hard, why aren't we better friends? Then we began to listen to disney songs together and that was it. Friend made. I also want to thank you for the hours you would spend on skype with me. And for all of the emails you would send me. Every morning in Spain I would wake up and check my email. When there was an email from you, it would be a great day. You were there for me when my grandpa died as well and I'll never forget how you comforted me on their porch. I know I don't see you as often as I would like these days, but just know that if you ever need to talk, I'm there.
Lastly, Sean. And yes he's on his mission and will never see this, but the important thing is that it will be written. Sean Sean Sean. Where do I begin? I feel like I've known him my whole life, but we've only been friends since 9th grade. And it wasn't even until 10th grade that I started to hang out with him. But my relationship with Sean is such a strong friendship now that most people don't understand it. Our friends always joke that we're going to get married (that's really going to be Sean and Amanda), but they just don't understand our friendship. Sean has listened to me talk the most out of any one of my friends. Before I got a phone, I would call him and talk on the phone for hours at a time. Then, the summer before I left for Spain, I hung out with him almost every day. While in Spain, he would skype me with Houston as often as they could and they would serenade me to make me feel less lonely. I honestly feel like I'm more myself than I ever am when I'm with him. This past summer we had a rough patch, that was mostly my fault, but after a conversation we had to end the rough patch, I learned something huge about my friend: he has a huge heart and he cares more than I ever thought he did. So now I write him every week while he's going to do great things in New York. Am I missing him? Heck yes. But I'm more excited for him and know that when he gets back, he'll have had the most incredible experiences. He'll change lives and that's the most important thing and best thing he could be doing with his life right now.
Sorry this was so long, I don't really expect anyone to read this, but it's just what's going on through my head right now. And now I don't have to write in my journal for writing 150. So... friends are the best. I recommend you keep them.
The End

1 comment:

  1. Dear Madi, you can't have known how much I needed to hear something nice like this tonight. Not to be cheesy back or anything, but thank YOU for our friendship as well. :) OK also, where did the Sudoku days go??! Def need to bring those back.

    ReplyDelete