Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A New Found Love

Once upon a time I had a terrible accident when I was six, and since then I haven't ridden a bike. Since May, that is.
At the beginning of the summer I decided that learning how to ride a bike was an essential. I would need it for college, and I had already signed up for an olympic distance triathlon. So there was no getting out of it. However, after the first couple of times on my brother's mountain bike, I fell in love. I rode that thing quite often, until my mom said it was time for me to learn how to ride a road bike.
I was more than terrified this time. A road bike has much skinnier tires, goes a lot faster, and you have to click your feet into the peddles. So one day at the end of June, my mom took me to the park by the cemetery and taught me how to ride a road bike. My love for biking only increased from that point on. I loved going up the canyon and feeling the breeze that you only get on your way down, because up is a beast. But it was worth it and I went quite frequently all the way up until the end of July. That's when I did my triathlon.
Now my road biking days are over until the summer hits again. Instead, I have my sister's bright orange beach cruiser, and let me tell you, that thing is amazing. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten compliments, and I always pretend that the bike is mine. It's a good conversation starter. Plus, I look cool now. On the mountain bike I had a helmet that didn't fit me, and on the road bike I looked like I didn't know what I was doing (which was partly true).
Anyway, the point to this story is I fell in love with biking because it is the best. And I'll miss it when the cold hits...oh nope. I have my spin class every tuesday and thursday so I'm good.
The End

I'm guessing based on the title that you thought I was going to write about a boy...you were wrong. But there is one...he looks like he's twelve but he wears a belt buckle, cowboy boots, and the same baseball cap every day. Oh and he also has an extremely thick southern accent...

No comments:

Post a Comment