Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Montana and Glacier National Park

Once upon a time I went with my family on a dream vacation for me. Last Tuesday (the 9th of August) we packed our belongings and hitched up the tent trailer and set off on a VERY long drive. That first night we stayed in an unknown location to me (somewhere in Idaho).
Then we woke up early the next day and me and my brother drove each other nuts as we drove through Montana.

We stopped in Butte, or as Weston likes to call it, Butt. (Oh and his joke was..."how do people in Butte say good day? Bidet! hahahaha") There, we had a strombolli at Trimbo's, which was made famous by Man vs. Food.

We then stopped and camped in Kalisbell (no idea how to spell it).
The next morning we woke up bright and early and went into Glacier National Park! We decided to camp at Avalanche campground. I immediately got out the info magazine and found two short hikes that we could do as a family that day. So within an hour of arriving, we were headed off on a hike. The first one was Avalanche Lake and it was spectacular! The gorge before it was super clear water, the trees were huge and made the path shady, and the ground (minus the trail) was covered in green green green plants that had leaves larger than my head. It was perfect. But it was 4 miles, and that was apparently too much for Weston.
Avalanche Lake
Despite Weston's complaints, however, after we were done at Avalanche we drove up to Logan Pass and hiked to hidden lakes. There, we saw big horn sheep and tons of mountain goats. The hike was beautiful and it made you feel like you were on top of the world (cheesy, I know, but that's really what it was like).
On the way to Logan Pass
Hidden Lake

The next day we drove to Many Glaciers and did an all day hike to Cracker Lake. Again, gorgeous. We then got back, paid for 8 minute public showers, and ate pizza at a restaurant! But we didn't get back to our tent trailer until 10.
Cracker Lake
"Madeye is a hiking poopster"
By the time Saturday came along my family was hiked out, so I went on a 10 mile hike to Snyder Lake by myself. And it was fantastic! I didn't hear one complaint the entire time and I just got to enjoy the quiet, amazing, outdoors.
Snyder Lake

Sunday morning I got up early and ran to Avalanche Lake. It was just as good the second time, and there weren't any people, so that was nice. Then we packed up and left Glacier to go to Salmon Lake, Montana. Here we played in the lake, read, and relaxed. We also roasted marshmallows at night.

Monday we drove a lot. But we did stop at Jud's to get a 2 pound hamburger to share. Yes, another Man vs. Food challenge. We also went to Helena, Montana.
One day I will be a Senator here
And then Tuesday we drove without stopping until we reached our home. Yep. It was finally over.
And now I wish I could go back instead of staying here and getting ready for college. One day...one day I'll move there and go on as many hikes as I can...one day.
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment