Saturday, January 19, 2013

Proving my mother wrong has never felt this good

When I sign up for a race I always come up with a time I want to beat. I then take 3 more minutes off that time and tell my mom that new time is my goal.  Without fail she tells me it's impossible and then starts laughing at me.  She then talks about how I haven't trained enough and how I'm a new runner, etc.  The thing is, the time I tell her is not the real time I want to beat, but her negative comments tend to play over and over in my head during the race, so it's usually the time I beat.
This half I wanted to take 3 minutes off my best time.  Only 3 because I knew the course was not a fast course.  I told my mom that I wanted to take 5 minutes off and of course she laughed and told me it was impossible with all the hills.  So, naturally, I beat my best time by 6 minutes.  And it's the first time I haven't felt sick afterwards.  Today was a success story and I think my mom may have figured out my strategy.  She figured it out, but it doesn't mean she'll stop laughing when I tell her "ridiculous" times.  And I don't want her to, because that's what drives me on.  Weird relationship? I think so. But it works for us!
The end

No comments:

Post a Comment