Monday, June 4, 2012

The Kissing Disease

Yes, I've had mono for the past 2.5 weeks and it's been horrible.  Spring classes are already fast paced, but add work and mono to the bundle and they seem impossibly hard.  That aside, I do have to say that I only missed three classes and I got in all my homework on time.  But let's start from the beginning...

A couple weeks ago I went and saw the avengers with my friend Carson.  It was a friday night and it was a blast.  I went to bed that night with a lot of plans for the summer in mind.  The next morning I wasn't feeling my best but I had promised Karli that I would hike stewart falls with her so I made the trip despite my illness.  When I got back I felt very achey and fevery so I took a nap.  That was also the day of the national rugby championship.  When I woke up from my nap, I still didn't feel well so I stayed in bed while my family went to watch the game.  By monday I thought I would feel well, but my symptoms had only gotten worse.  Because I had a spanish presentation that week, I went to school anyway.  On wednesday I finally went to the doctor because four rather painful lumps had appears on the back of my head and I had a severe headache because of them.  Within one minute, the doctor diagnosed me with mono.  So I got a B-12 shot and I was on my way.  I thought that was the end of it so I agreed to go to St. George with my sister that weekend, and that's when my sore throat started.  I honestly thought I was going to die.  But after lots of advil, vitamin C, B-12, excedrin, and an allergy pill, I went to Zion's with my sister and hiked 8 miles.  Let me tell you, they aren't kidding when they say mono makes you tired.  Within the first half mile my body was done.  It was awful, but the view at the end was nice.
So then I got home and school was no longer an option.  Swallowing was excruciating.  Hey!  I lost five pounds!
Thursday I got home from work and my mom brought me a juice press.  After I drank it, I went to sleep and I woke up at 4:30 the next morning.  My throat felt raw, but not swollen.  So now I'm just tired all the time, but I feel much better.  I was even well enough to go to my cousin's baptism on saturday where I met his primary teacher, Sister Kitty Butt.
And that's my story.  Long, but I have nothing else to do right now.
The End

2 comments:

  1. sis. kitty butt! she's great! she's was in stake camp stuff when i was a ycl. sorry you've been sick. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. She seemed way nice. I wonder if you know if Kitty is her real name? Anyway, just to clarify because there seems to be some confusion from some of you (Shams), Carson did not give me mono. I included the part about Carson to show how sudden it came on. It takes 4-8 weeks after getting the virus to show signs.

    ReplyDelete